July 20, 2021
We feel strongly about hand whisking the whipped cream at my house, but you CAN use a hand or stand mixer if you’re not up for the challenge! Shortcakes are such a humble and simple dessert, but plates always come back to the kitchen completely clean. If at all possible, make these right before you’re planning to serve. The cakes dry out overnight and the whipped cream will collapse. Tender vanilla shortcakes, freshly whipped cream, and ripe strawberries (or peaches, blueberries, blackberries, nectarines, etc…) - this recipe is an easy way to make a classic dessert without breaking a sweat.
. . . . .
yields about 12
3 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar*
1 TBSP baking powder
1 tsp fine sea salt
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 TBSP unsalted butter-melted
Coarse sugar-for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350⁰ F
- Line a standard sized cupcake pan with papers and set aside.
- Sift flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Whisk cream, eggs, and vanilla together in a small bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to bowl of dry ingredients and stir lightly with a wooden spoon. (take care not to over mix!! Just stir to combine)
- Scoop dough to fill cupcake pan lined with papers about 2/3 full.
- Brush melted butter on top and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake @ 350⁰ F for 18-20+ minutes. Tops will be light golden and toothpick inserted in the center of shortcake will come out clean.
2-3 cups heavy whipping cream (or more?!), COLD
3-4 TBSP powdered sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Pinch fine sea salt
- In a large mixing bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar, vanilla, and salt, and whip until stiff peaks form. (be careful not to overmix, and it will get lumpy and butter like.)
2 pounds rinsed and sliced fresh strawberries
- Remove slightly cooled shortcake from paper and cut the top off.
- Place the bottoms on a platter, spoon whipped cream, fresh fruit, and replace top.
- If you’re feeling fancy, dust with powdered sugar!
*Vanilla sugar can be substituted, just reduce vanilla extract to 1 tsp.
**Mix up the flavor by adding a little ground ginger and/or cinnamon to the dry ingredients.